Which console left the market in 2002?
Which console was released first in the seventh generation of consoles?
Which game was NOT released in the 2000s?
Which console had built-in DVD players and hard drives?
Which game was NOT a part of the Halo trilogy?
Which game started the rhythm game fad?
Which game was NOT one of the best-selling video games of the decade?
Which company dominated the video game market in the 2000s?
Which event was held at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005?
Video game-related events in 2000s:
- The decade was dominated by Sony, Nintendo, newcomer Microsoft, and their respective systems.
- Sega left the console market in 2002 to return to third-party development.
- The sixth and seventh generation of video game consoles went on sale, including PlayStation 2, Wii, Xbox, PlayStation 3, Game Boy Advance, and Xbox 360.
- Notable games released in the 2000s included Half-Life 2, Wii Sports, Grand Theft Auto III, The Sims, Ikaruga, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Super Mario Galaxy, the Halo trilogy, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
- The sixth generation of video games improved on the 3D graphics of the fifth generation consoles, featuring built-in DVD players and hard drives.
- The seventh generation of consoles began with the release of the Xbox 360 in 2005, followed by the Wii and PlayStation 3 in 2006.
- PC video games remained popular throughout the decade, with Blizzard releasing Diablo II and World of Warcraft.
- Rhythm games became a fad, led by Guitar Hero and followed by Rock Band and DJ Hero.
- The fast-growing mobile market in African countries led to a growth in mobile game development.
- The 2000s was a decade of controversy, with debates about profanity, violence, pornography, and whether or not video games had an addictive effect.
- The film industry capitalized on video games, with adaptations like Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Max Payne.
- Video Games Live concert was held at the Hollywood Bowl on July 6, 2005, to an audience of 11,000 people.
- Best-selling video games of the decade include Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Wii Sports, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto III, and The Sims 2.
How much do you know about the video game industry in the 2000s? Test your knowledge with our quiz! From the rise of Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft consoles to the controversy surrounding video game content, this decade was packed with memorable events. See if you can identify the best-selling games, recall the popular rhythm games, and remember the film adaptations that hit the big screen. Take the quiz and see if you're a true gaming expert!
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students