What is YSL credited with popularizing in the 1960s and 1970s?
When did YSL debut Le Smoking, a tuxedo suit for women?
What did YSL begin producing in 1966 with the launch of Rive Gauche?
What were some of the design influences in YSL's creations?
Who replaced Stefano Pilati as creative director for YSL in 2012?
When did Sanofi purchase YSL?
Who designed the ready-to-wear collection for YSL after Kering purchased the brand in 1999?
What did Saint Laurent initiate in the 1980s that characterized fashion during that era?
When did Anthony Vaccarello become the creative director for YSL?
Yves Saint Laurent SAS: A Brief History
- YSL is a French luxury fashion house founded in 1962 by Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé.
- The brand popularized the beatnik look, safari jackets, tight pants, and thigh-high boots in the 1960s and 1970s.
- YSL debuted Le Smoking, a tuxedo suit for women, in 1966.
- YSL began producing ready-to-wear in 1966 with the launch of Rive Gauche, popularizing the concept.
- YSL's designs often featured designs influenced by traditional Chinese clothing, themes from Pop Art, Ballets Russes, and Picasso.
- Saint Laurent is credited with initiating the broad, shoulder-padded style that characterized 1980s fashion.
- In 1992, the company's profits were in decline and its share price had fallen, leading to the sale of the brand to pharmaceuticals company Sanofi.
- In 1999, Kering purchased YSL and hired Tom Ford to design the ready-to-wear collection, while Yves Saint Laurent himself designed the haute couture collection.
- In 2002, Saint Laurent closed the couture division of YSL.
- In 2012, Hedi Slimane replaced Stefano Pilati as creative director for YSL, and in 2015, Slimane announced he would revive Yves Saint Laurent's couture line.
- In 2016, Anthony Vaccarello was appointed creative director, a position he still holds as of August 2022.
- In April 2023, YSL launched Saint Laurent Productions, a production company, with the costumes for films made under the company being designed by Anthony Vaccarello.
How much do you know about the iconic fashion house Yves Saint Laurent SAS? Test your knowledge with this brief history quiz, featuring the brand's origins, groundbreaking designs, and notable moments throughout its history. From Le Smoking to Rive Gauche, find out how YSL revolutionized the fashion industry and continues to make an impact today.
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students