What is the approximate age of the Pyramid Texts from ancient Egypt?
When did the concept of 'religion' come into existence?
What is the Religionsgeschichtliche Schule?
What is the 'axial age'?
What is secularisation?
What is the significance of the Muslim conquest of Persia?
When did people start using the internet to discover or adhere to their religious beliefs?
What is the prehistory of religion?
What is the earliest archaeological evidence of religious ideas?
Historical Development of Religion:
- The history of religion began with the invention of writing around 5,200 years ago.
- The prehistory of religion involves the study of religious beliefs that existed prior to the advent of written records.
- The concept of "religion" was formed in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- The word religion does not have an obvious pre-colonial translation into non-European languages.
- The Religionsgeschichtliche Schule originated the systematic study of religion as a socio-cultural phenomenon.
- The earliest archaeological evidence interpreted by some as suggestive of the emergence of religious ideas dates back several hundred thousand years.
- The Pyramid Texts from ancient Egypt, the oldest known religious texts in the world, date to between 2400 and 2300 BCE.
- Some historians have labelled the period from 900 to 200 BCE as the "axial age".
- Muslims came into conflict with Zoroastrians during the Muslim conquest of Persia (633–654).
- The 18th century saw the beginning of secularisation in Europe, a trend which gained momentum after the French Revolution.
- By the late 20th century, religion had declined in most of Europe.
- In 2001, people began to use the internet in order to discover or adhere to their religious beliefs.
Test your knowledge on the fascinating and complex historical development of religion with this quiz! Explore the prehistory of religious beliefs, the emergence of the concept of "religion," the systematic study of religion, and the conflicts and changes that have shaped religious practices over time. From the Pyramid Texts of ancient Egypt to the rise of secularisation in Europe, this quiz covers a wide range of topics in the history of religion. See how much you know about the evolution of this fundamental aspect of human culture.
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students