What are the typical inhabitants of a freshwater aquarium?
What materials are modern aquariums most often made from?
What is a biotope aquarium?
What is the purpose of a freshwater aquarium?
What is the difference between coldwater and tropical freshwater fish?
What is the earliest known example of an aquarium?
What is a planted aquarium?
What is the community aquarium?
What is the balanced aquarium?
Freshwater Aquarium: A Complete Guide
- Freshwater aquariums are receptacles that hold one or more freshwater aquatic organisms for decorative, pet-keeping, or research purposes.
- Modern aquariums are most often made from transparent glass or acrylic glass.
- Typical inhabitants of an aquarium include fish, plants, amphibians, and invertebrates, such as snails and crustaceans.
- Freshwater fish may be either coldwater or tropical species.
- Aquariums may be decorated with sand or gravel, live or plastic plants, driftwood, rocks, and a variety of commercially made plastic sculptures.
- The earliest known aquariums were artificial fish ponds constructed by the ancient Sumerians over 4500 years ago.
- During the 19th century, the idea of the "balanced aquarium" was developed, which was an attempt to mimic a balanced ecosystem in nature.
- Today fishkeeping has become a popular hobby that almost anyone can do.
- A typical household freshwater aquarium set-up, apart from its aquatic tenants, consists of furnishings such as a gravel substrate, live or plastic plants, rocks, driftwood, and other decorations.
- Themes for aquariums include the community aquarium, the goldfish aquarium, the African cichlid aquarium, and the planted aquarium.
- A planted aquarium emphasizes living plants as much as, or even more than fish.
- A biotope aquarium is an aquarium that is designed to simulate a natural habitat, with the fish, plants, and furnishings all representative of a particular place in nature.
Take our Freshwater Aquarium quiz to test your knowledge of these beautiful and complex aquatic environments. From the history of aquariums to the different types of fish and plants that can be kept in them, this quiz covers all the essential information you need to know. Whether you're a seasoned aquarium owner or just getting started, this quiz will challenge you and teach you something new. So dive in and see how much you really know about freshwater aquariums!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.