Test Your Knowledge of Early 20th Century Fashion with Our Quiz on the Decade 19...
What was the silhouette of the fashionable woman in the early 20th century?
What were the two new styles of headgear that became popular at the turn of the century?
What was the usual necktie for men in the early 1900s?
What was the length of skirts for women in mid-decade?
What was the popular clothing item for boys in the early 1900s?
What was the uniform of working women in the early 1900s?
What was the most common type of shoes for men in the early 1900s?
What did the columnar silhouette introduced by the couturiers of Paris signal?
What did women wear for formal and semi-formal occasions in the early 1900s?
Costume and Fashion in the Decade 1900-1909
- Fashion in the Western world continued the severe, long and elegant lines of the late 1890s.
- Women's broad hats and full "Gibson Girl" hairstyles were popular.
- A new, columnar silhouette introduced by the couturiers of Paris signaled the approaching abandonment of the corset.
- The fashionable silhouette in the early 20th century was that of a confident woman, with full low chest and curvy hips.
- Skirts brushed the floor, often with a train, even for day dresses, in mid-decade.
- Wool or tweed suit called tailor-mades or (in French) tailleurs featured ankle-length skirts with matching jackets.
- Two new styles of headgear which became popular at the turn of the century were the motoring veil for driving and sailor hats worn for tennis matches, bicycling and croquet.
- The long, lean, and athletic silhouette of the 1890s persisted.
- The sack coat or lounge coat continued to replace the frock coat for most informal and semi-formal occasions.
- Trousers were shorter than before, often had turn-ups or cuffs, and were creased front and back using the new trouser press.
- The usual necktie was a narrow four-in-hand.
- Shoes for men were mostly over the ankle. Toe cap, lace-up boots in black, gray, or brown were the most common for everyday wear.
- Girls wore dresses of knee length, with trimmings at the hem such as lace and embroidery similar to women's lingerie dresses.
- Young boys found comfort in Russian style blouses.
- Fashionable clothing for boys included sailor suits, consisting of a shirt with a sailor collar and trousers or knickerbockers.
- This decade marked the full flowering of Parisian haute couture as the arbiter of styles and silhouettes for women of all classes.
- Tailored suits became more popular for the women that were beginning to work in white-collar jobs.
- The shirtwaist became the uniform of working women.
How well do you know the fashion trends of the decade 1900-1909? Test your knowledge with our quiz on Costume and Fashion in the Decade 1900-1909. From the popular "Gibson Girl" hairstyle to the rise of Parisian haute couture, this quiz will challenge your understanding of the fashion landscape of the early 20th century. Explore the clothing trends for men, women, and children, as well as the emergence of tailored suits for working women
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.