Take Our Smörgåsbord Quiz and Test Your Knowledge of Scandinavian Cuisine!
What is a Smörgåsbord?
When did Smörgåsbord become internationally known?
What does the word 'smörgåsbord' mean?
What is a julbord?
What is typically included in the fifth course of a julbord?
When is julbord typically served at restaurants?
What happened to Smörgåsbords in March 2020?
What is the meaning of the Swedish term 'att bre(da) smörgåsar'?
What is the difference between a Smörgåsbord and a julbord?
Scandinavian Buffet-Style Meal: Smörgåsbord
- Smörgåsbord is a Swedish-origin buffet-style meal that is served with various hot and cold dishes.
- It became internationally known at the 1939 New York World's Fair when it was offered at the Swedish Pavilion "Three Crowns Restaurant".
- In a restaurant, the term refers to a buffet-style table laid out with many small dishes from which, for a fixed amount of money, one is allowed to choose as many as one wishes.
- The term varies between "cold table" and "buffet" in different languages and regions.
- The word smörgåsbord consists of the words smörgås ("sandwich") and bord ("table").
- In Sweden, the term att bre(da) smörgåsar ("to spread butter on open-faced sandwiches") has been used since at least the 16th century.
- A traditional Swedish Smörgåsbord consists of both hot and cold dishes, and is typically eaten in a celebratory setting.
- A special Swedish type of Smörgåsbord is the julbord (literally "Yule/Christmas table").
- A traditional julbord is typically eaten buffet-style in five to seven courses.
- The fifth course consists of warm dishes (småvarmt) such as Swedish meatballs, roasted pork ribs, potato sausages, and casseroles.
- Julbord is served from early December until just before Christmas at restaurants and until Epiphany in some homes.
- Smörgåsbords were suspended in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as restaurants started offering take-away or delivery.
Do you love trying different types of cuisine and learning about their traditions? Test your knowledge of Scandinavian dining with our Smörgåsbord quiz! From the origins of this buffet-style meal to the different types of dishes served, this quiz will challenge your understanding of this delicious tradition. So grab a plate and join us for a virtual taste of Sweden!
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students