What is Singin' in the Rain?
Who directed and choreographed Singin' in the Rain?
Who starred in Singin' in the Rain?
What is the plot of Singin' in the Rain?
What was Bosley Crowther's review of Singin' in the Rain?
What is the Rotten Tomatoes approval rating for Singin' in the Rain?
What is the National Film Registry?
When was the Broadway musical adaptation of Singin' in the Rain premiered?
What happened to the original negative of Singin' in the Rain?
Singin' in the Rain is a 1952 American musical romantic comedy film directed and choreographed by Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen, starring Kelly, Donald O'Connor, and Debbie Reynolds. It offers a lighthearted depiction of Hollywood in the late 1920s, with the three stars portraying performers caught up in the transition from silent films to "talkies". The film was only a modest hit when it was first released, but it has since been accorded legendary status by contemporary critics. In 1989, Singin' in the Rain was one of the first 25 films selected by the United States Library of Congress for preservation in the National Film Registry. The film is ranked as the fifth-greatest American motion picture of all time in its updated list of the greatest American films in 2007. The cast includes Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds, Jean Hagen, Millard Mitchell, and Cyd Charisse. The film's songs were written by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown. The production was beset with difficulties, including the actors being unfamiliar with the recording technology used and Lina's grating voice and strong Brooklyn accent, driving poor director Roscoe Dexter to tears.Singin' in the Rain Summary
- The film made a profit of $666,000 during its initial theatrical release.
- It was the tenth-highest-grossing movie of the year in the US and Canada.
- Bosley Crowther of The New York Times called Singin' in the Rain "carefully contrived and guaranteed to lift the dolors of winter."
- The film has a perfect 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 64 reviews.
- It was among the first 25 films chosen for the National Film Registry in 1989.
- Singin' in the Rain has appeared three times on Sight & Sound's list of the ten best films of all time.
- The Broadway musical adaptation of the film premiered on July 2, 1985, and ran for 367 performances.
- François Truffaut was a fan of the film and reportedly saw it so many times that he knew it frame by frame.
- The original negative was destroyed in a fire, but the film was digitally restored for its DVD release.
- Singin' in the Rain was ranked #8 on Empire's 500 Greatest Movies of All Time List.
- The film is available to stream on HBO Max.
- The film was released on Ultra HD Blu-ray on April 26, 2022.
How well do you know Singin' in the Rain? Test your knowledge of this iconic 1952 musical with our quiz! From the cast to the songs, and behind-the-scenes trivia, this quiz will challenge even the biggest fans of the film. So, grab your umbrella and get ready to sing and dance your way through our Singin' in the Rain quiz!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.