What is roasting?
What is the purpose of basting during roasting?
What is the difference between low-temperature and high-temperature cooking for roasting?
Which of the following vegetables is NOT suitable for roasting?
What is a traybake?
What is the purpose of rotating food on a spit or rotisserie during roasting?
What is the best type of meat for roasting?
What is the difference between roasting and grilling?
What is the purpose of browning on the surface of the food during roasting?
Roasting: A Cooking Method Using Dry Air Heat
- Roasting is a cooking method that uses dry heat where hot air covers the food, cooking it evenly on all sides with temperatures of at least 150 °C (300 °F) from an open flame, oven, or other heat source.
- Roasting can enhance the flavor through caramelization and Maillard browning on the surface of the food.
- Meats and most root and bulb vegetables can be roasted.
- For roasting, the food may be placed on a rack, in a roasting pan or, to ensure even application of heat, may be rotated on a spit or rotisserie.
- There are several plans for roasting meat: low-temperature cooking, high-temperature cooking, and a combination of both.
- During roasting, meats and vegetables are frequently basted on the surface with butter, lard, or oil to reduce the loss of moisture by evaporation.
- Traditionally recognized roasting methods consist only of baking and cooking over or near an open fire.
- Grilling is normally not technically a roast, since a grill (gridiron) is used.
- Roasting can be applied to a wide variety of meat. In general, it works best for cooking whole chickens, turkey, and leaner cuts of lamb, pork, and beef.
- Some vegetables, such as potatoes, carrots, eggplants/aubergines, zucchini/courgette, pumpkin, turnips, rutabagas/swedes, parsnips, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, peppers, yam and plantain lend themselves to roasting as well.
- Roasting fish is done with whole fish, and will work well with snapper, or any medium-sized, whole round fish such as trout, ocean perch, and black sea bass will work.
- In the United States and Britain, a mix of vegetables and meat roasted together in the same pan is known as a traybake.
Test your knowledge on the cooking method of roasting with this quiz! From the best meats and vegetables to roast to the techniques for achieving the perfect roast, this quiz covers it all. Discover the history and tradition of roasting, different methods of cooking, and how to enhance the flavor of your roast. Challenge yourself and see how much you know about this classic cooking method!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.