What is Prada's specialty?
Who succeeded Mario Prada as head of the company?
What is the name of the company that Prada licenses its branding to for eyewear?
What is the name of the brand launched by Miuccia Prada in 1992?
What did Prada announce in 2019?
Who did Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli name as co-creative director in February 2020?
What is the name of the building commissioned by Prada's OMA group in Seoul?
What was Prada criticized for in 2018?
What did Prada ally with UNESCO's Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission for in 2019?
Prada: A Luxury Fashion House
- Prada is an Italian luxury fashion house founded in Milan in 1913 by Mario Prada.
- The company specializes in leather handbags, travel accessories, shoes, ready-to-wear, and other fashion accessories.
- Prada licenses its name and branding to Luxottica for eyewear and L’Oréal for fragrances.
- Initially, the shop sold animal goods, imported English steamer trunks, and handbags.
- Miuccia Prada, Mario's granddaughter, succeeded him and ran Prada for almost 20 years.
- Miuccia began making waterproof backpacks out of Pocono, a nylon fabric, and met Patrizio Bertelli in 1977, who eventually joined the company as a business manager.
- Prada's popularity increased in the 1990s, attributed to its "working-class" theme which became chic in the high-tech, IPO-driven era.
- In 1992, Miu Miu, named after Miuccia's nickname, launched.
- Prada purchased 51% of Helmut Lang's company for US$40 million and full control of Jil Sander A.G. for US$105 million.
- In 2019, the company announced that fur would be eliminated from the collection and all house brands as of 2020.
- In February 2020, Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli named the Belgian designer Raf Simons as co-creative director.
- In August 2020, the fashion house announced it would no longer use kangaroo leather in its products.Prada: History, Boutiques, Other Activities, Prada in Popular Culture, Arts and Architecture, Environmental Sustainability, Controversies
- Prada was appointed as the Official Supplier to the Italian Royal Household in 1919.
- Prada has commissioned architects like Rem Koolhaas and Herzog & de Meuron to design flagship stores in different locations.
- Prada opened its first store in Milan in 1913 and started retail expansion in 1983.
- Prada opened a duplex megastore in Kuala Lumpur in 2008.
- Prada opened its largest ever boutique in Dubai's Mall of the Emirates in 2012.
- Prada has flagship stores in different locations designed by Rem Koolhaas and Herzog & de Meuron.
- Prada opened its first store in Milan in 1913.
- Prada's retail expansion began in 1983 with new boutiques in Milan, New York, Madrid, London, Paris, and Tokyo.
- Prada has more boutiques in New York City, China, and Japan.
- Prada designed costumes for the CGI film Appleseed Ex Machina in 2007.
- Prada launched its fragrance in 2004 in collaboration with the Puig company.
- Prada produced mobile phones with LG Electronics in 2007.
- Prada started production of watches in 2007 and suspended it in 2012.
Prada in popular culture:
- Prada is featured in the film 10 Things I Hate About You and The Devil Wears Prada.
- Prada was the inspiration for Meryl Streep's character in The Devil Wears Prada.
Arts and architecture:
- Prada's Milan Headquarters are located in a former industrial space between via Bergamo and Via Fogazzaro.
- Prada's New York City Headquarters open in 2002 and are located in a former Times Square piano factory renovated by the Herzog & de Meuron architecture firm.
- Prada commissioned an unusual multi-purpose building from Rem Koolhaas's OMA group called the Prada Transformer in Seoul in 2009.
- Prada opened a permanent home for Fondazione Prada in Milan in 2015.
- Prada allied with UNESCO's Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission in 2019 to introduce an 'educational program' called SEA BEYOND about sea preservation.
- Prada was involved in the Prada Female Discrimination Case in 2009.
- Prada is the main buyer from the Turkish leather factory DESA, which was found guilty by the Turkish Supreme Court of illegally dismissing workers who joined a union.
- Prada was criticized for using ostrich leather in its products in 2015.
- Prada was forced to pull a new range of accessories and displays from its stores in 2018 following complaints that they featured "blackface imagery."
- Prada was investigated by Italian prosecutors for possible tax evasion in 2014.
How well do you know Prada, the iconic luxury fashion house? Test your knowledge with our quiz and learn more about the brand's history, boutiques, other activities, controversies, and its impact on popular culture and arts. From its beginnings as a leather goods shop to its expansion into a global fashion empire, discover fascinating facts about Prada's iconic designs and collaborations with renowned architects and artists. Challenge yourself and see how much you know about this fashion powerhouse.
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students