What is modern philosophy associated with?
Which two major groups of philosophers emerged during the modern period?
Who attempted to bring unity to Rationalism and Empiricism?
What was a characteristic theme of idealism?
What dominated 19th-century British philosophy?
What is political philosophy?
What is idealism?
What is existentialism?
What is analytic philosophy characterized by?
Overview of Modern Philosophy
- Modern philosophy began in the 17th century and ended in the early 20th century, associated with modernity and not a specific doctrine or school.
- Major groups of philosophers were Rationalists, arguing that knowledge must begin from innate ideas, and Empiricists, holding that knowledge must begin with sensory experience.
- Immanuel Kant tried to bring unity to Rationalism and Empiricism but did not entirely succeed in ending philosophical dispute.
- German idealism was a characteristic theme of idealism, which culminated in the work of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel.
- 19th-century British philosophy was dominated by neo-Hegelian thought, and as a reaction against this, figures such as Bertrand Russell and George Edward Moore began moving in the direction of analytic philosophy.
- Renaissance humanism emphasized the value of human beings and opposed dogma and scholasticism.
- Rationalism is a theory of knowledge that asserts that knowledge begins from innate ideas.
- Empiricism is a theory of knowledge that asserts that knowledge comes primarily via sensory experience.
- Political philosophy is the study of politics, liberty, justice, property, rights, law, and the enforcement of a legal code by authority.
- Idealism refers to the group of philosophies which assert that reality is fundamentally a construct of the mind or otherwise immaterial.
- Existentialism holds that the starting point of philosophical thinking must be the individual and the experiences of the individual.
- Phenomenology is the study of the structure of experience.
- Pragmatism is a philosophical tradition centered on the linking of practice and theory.
- Analytic philosophy is characterized by an emphasis on clarity and argument, often achieved via modern formal logic and analysis of language.
- Various philosophical movements in Asia arose in the modern period.
Test your knowledge of the evolution of philosophical ideas with our Overview of Modern Philosophy quiz. Explore the major groups of philosophers, such as Rationalists and Empiricists, and learn about key themes like idealism, existentialism, and pragmatism. This quiz will challenge your understanding of the development of philosophical thought from the 17th to the 20th century, including the rise of analytic philosophy and the emergence of new movements in Asia. Sharpen your skills and broaden your perspective on philosophy
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students