What was the first dedicated motor racing track in the world?
Which of the following is NOT a type of motorsport divided by types of motor vehicles?
What is the premier race of the IndyCar Series?
Which organization governs Formula One?
What is the most famous open-wheel racing class?
What is off-road racing?
What is enclosed wheel racing?
What are the Dakar Rally and the Baja 1000 desert race?
What is the responsibility of race officials in racing events?
Motorsport: A Detailed Overview
- Motorsport is a global term for competitive sporting events primarily involving the use of motorized vehicles, which are governed by global governing bodies such as FIA, FIM, UIM, and FAI.
- The history of motorsport dates back to 1894 when a French newspaper organized a race from Paris to Rouen and back, and Aspendale Racecourse in Australia in 1906 was the first dedicated motor racing track in the world.
- Motorsports are divided by types of motor vehicles into racing events, and their appropriate organizations, such as open-wheel racing, sports car racing, stock car racing, touring car racing, and off-road racing.
- Open-wheel racing is a set of classes of motor vehicles, and the most famous being Formula One, Formula Two, Formula 3, Formula Ford, Formula Renault, and Formula Palmer Audi.
- Formula One is a class of single-seat and open-wheel Grand Prix closed course racing, governed by the FIA, and organized by the privately-owned company Formula One Group.
- Formula E is a class of open-wheel auto racing that uses only electric-powered cars and races a spec chassis/battery combination, with manufacturers allowed to develop their own electric power-trains.
- IndyCar Series is a series of vehicles that race over a full schedule with over 20 teams and 40 different drivers, and its premier race is the Indianapolis 500.
- Enclosed wheel racing is a set of classes of vehicles, where the wheels are primarily enclosed inside the bodywork of the vehicle, including sports car racing and touring car racing.
- Stock car racing is a set of vehicles that race over a speedway track, organized by NASCAR, and is now purpose-built.
- Off-road racing is a group of vehicles that specialize in off-road racing and are modified street cars that can race on close purpose-built off-road tracks and courses, and the premier off-road events include the Dakar Rally and the Baja 1000 desert race.
- Forms of motorsport which do not involve racing include demolition derby, drifting, gymkhana, freestyle motocross, monster truck events, motorcycle trials, regularity rally, and tractor pulling.
- Racing events are governed by various race officials, who are responsible for organizing logistics, onboarding participants, safety, scoring, arbitration, and any other support activities.
- Motorsport was a demonstration event at the 1900 Summer Olympics.
Are you a motorsport enthusiast? Test your knowledge with our detailed overview quiz! From the history of motorsport to different types of racing events, this quiz covers it all. Challenge yourself with questions about Formula One, IndyCar Series, stock car racing, and more. Discover the different classes of vehicles and their appropriate organizations. Even if you're not a racing expert, you might learn something new about motorsport. Take the quiz now and show off your knowledge!
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students