Which genre saw a resurgence in the 2000s?
Which animation studio was the top animation studio in the 2000s?
Which film was not one of the highest-grossing films of the 2000s?
Which films were considered the most acclaimed according to They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?
Which films were most often and most notably included in 'best films of the decade' lists according to Metacritic?
Which filmmaker listed Battle Royale, Team America: World Police, and Shaun of the Dead as the best and most influential films of the decade?
Which types of films attracted moviegoers in North America in the 2000s?
What replaced traditional animation as the dominant medium for animated feature films in American cinema?
What were the key developments of the 2000s in film?
Overview of the 2000s in Film
- Computers were used to create effects that were previously expensive, such as the subtle erasing of surrounding islands in Cast Away and the vast battle scenes in The Matrix sequels and 300.
- The 2000s saw the resurgence of fantasy, comic book superhero, historical epic, live-action musical, martial arts, and battle royale genres in films.
- Non-English language and documentary films became very successful and attracted moviegoers in North America.
- Computer animation replaced traditional animation as the dominant medium for animated feature films in American cinema, with DreamWorks Animation as the top animation studio in that decade.
- Highest-grossing films of the decade include Avatar, Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, The Dark Knight, and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
- The most acclaimed films of the 2000s according to They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? are Mulholland Drive, In the Mood for Love, and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
- The top twenty most often and most notably included films in 'best films of the decade' lists according to Metacritic include There Will Be Blood, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Dark Knight.
- The best and most influential films of the decade according to filmmaker Quentin Tarantino include Battle Royale, Team America: World Police, and Shaun of the Dead.
- Top films according to various sources include Wall-E, No Country for Old Men, and The Social Network.
- The decade saw the development of new technology, the resurgence of old genres, and the success of non-English language and documentary films.
- The decade also saw the rise of computer animation and the decline of traditional animation.
- The highest-grossing films of the decade were dominated by Avatar, Titanic, and the Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean franchises.
- The most acclaimed films of the decade included Mulholland Drive, In the Mood for Love, and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
Test your knowledge of the 2000s in film with this overview quiz! From the rise of computer animation to the resurgence of old genres, this decade had its fair share of developments and successes. Do you know which films grossed the most at the box office? Or which movies topped critics' lists? Take this quiz and see how much you remember about the movies that defined the 2000s.
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.