What was a significant trend in fashion in Britain, Ireland, and the Americas from 2013 to 2016?
Which fashion trend became popular among young men inspired by 1990s Britpop, mod revival, and 1970s fashion?
What color replaced black as the most popular color for leather jackets?
What is the name of the subculture that combines hip-hop fashion with Western shirts, charro jackets, and cowboy boots?
Which fashion trend became popular in the latter half of the 2010s, with popular apparel including skater skirts and destroyed acid wash jeans?
What is the name of the fusion of scene, electronic dance music, and hipster culture that began as an online internet meme before becoming a niche street fashion?
Which popular global fashion brand was not mentioned in the text?
Which female international model was not mentioned in the text?
Which beauty trend was not mentioned in the text?
Fashion-related events during the 2010s:
The 2010s saw the emergence of hipster fashion, athleisure, austerity-era period pieces, alternative fashion, 1980s-style neon streetwear, and unisex 1990s-style elements influenced by grunge and skater fashions.
Social media influencers became increasingly important in promoting fast fashion brands.
Popular global fashion brands of the decade included Abercrombie and Fitch, Adidas, Balenciaga, Burberry, Gucci, H&M, Louis Vuitton, Nike, and Topshop.
Notable designers included Nicolas Ghesquière, Miuccia Prada, and Karl Lagerfeld.
Top female international models included Gisele Bündchen, Karlie Kloss, Adriana Lima, Gigi Hadid, and Kendall Jenner.
Top male international models included Sean O'Pry, David Gandy, and Noah Mills.
Early 2010s fashion trends included recycled fashions from the 1950s, 1970s, and 1980s, neon colors, and popular tops such as tunics, oversized cardigans, and Abercrombie and Fitch hoodies.
Tribal fashions and 1990s revival became popular in the latter half of the decade, with popular apparel including skater skirts and destroyed acid wash jeans.
Popular footwear included flat sandals, Vans, TOMS Shoes, and Hunter boots.
Monochromatic clothing trends from the mid-2010s included black and white lace dresses, T-shirt dresses, and crop tops.
Other popular trends included Choker necklaces, onesies, and 1970s revival fashions such as sheepskin coats and flared double-breasted trouser suits.
The 2010s saw a revival of grunge fashion and late 1960s and early 70s bohemian fashions.
Popular colors included burgundy, mustard yellow, olive green, mauve, blush pink, and various shades of gray and charcoal.Fashion Trends of the Early to Mid 2010s
The early to mid 2010s saw a variety of fashion trends across the globe.
Women's fashion included a mix of styles such as distressed jeans, leather jackets, neon colors, tights, peplum dresses, and oversized handbags.
Men's fashion included neon colors, graphic print hoodies, studded belts, shawl collar cardigans, V-neck T-shirts, acid wash denim work shirts, and Tartan flannel Western shirts.
The 1990s and 1980s inspired fashion made a comeback in the UK and the Americas among men, featuring bright colored shorts, flannel shirts, high top sneakers, and snapback hats.
Workwear became a significant trend in Britain, Ireland, and the Americas from 2013 to 2016, featuring tailored sweatpants, bomber jackets, hoodies, and chunky hiking boots.
The waistcoat made a comeback as part of the three-piece suit in Europe and the US, and checks, houndstooth, and Prince of Wales plaid cloth became popular suit patterns.
African fashion saw the beginnings of its own haute couture, with designers showcasing indigenous fabrics in contemporary clothing cut to Western patterns.Fashion Trends of the 2010s
Expatriate Africans, African Americans, and liberal white Americans wore traditional attire such as wooden jewelry and Dashikis.
Dandies in South Africa and the Congo imported expensive designer suits and customized them with vintage accessories.
Fashion designers began moving away from slim fitting casual attire and combined business casual pieces with sportswear.
Brown replaced black as the most popular color for leather jackets.
Baggy cargo pants with external pockets were reintroduced.
Clothing inspired by 1990s Britpop, mod revival, and 1970s fashion became popular among young men.
Steampunk gained regional popularity among some young people aged 18-25.
American preppy guys moved away from the hip-hop influenced fashions of the 2000s and begun to dress in a more classic 1950s Ivy League style.
Skaters wore designer streetwear such as joggers, hoodies, and tracksuits.
An offshoot of the skater subculture, known as "sneakerheads," dressed similarly.
The androgynous scene subculture remained common in some parts of the world.
Seapunk, a fusion of scene, electronic dance music, and hipster culture, began as an online internet meme before becoming a niche street fashion.Fashion and Beauty Trends of the 2010s
- Hip-hop fashion includes tactical pants, Nike sneakers, True Religion jeans, retro snapbacks, and gold chains.
- Skater culture is prominent in hip-hop fashion, with Vans, Supreme, and Thrasher apparel being popular.
- Alternative hip-hop subcultures, such as Cloud Rap and Emo Rap, popularize a "darker" aesthetic involving monochromatic color schemes and skinny jeans.
- Cholo and Chicano subcultures combine hip-hop fashion with Western shirts, charro jackets, and cowboy boots.
- K-Pop fashion includes printed silk jackets, leather skirts, and brightly colored tuxedo jackets.
- Jejemon subculture in the Philippines arose, characterized by their own language, trucker hats, and counterfeit hip-hop clothing.
- E-Kids and VSCO Kids fashion includes oversized T-shirts, leggings, jogger pants, and retro sneakers.
- Dashikis became trendy in hip-hop and afro-punk fashion.
- 1990s inspired fashion is popular, including tie-dye, transparent plastic jackets, and bucket hats.
- Women's hairstyles in the early 2010s were simplistic, straight, long, and natural colored, with hair extensions being popular.
- By the mid-2010s, straight and wavy hairstyles, including blonde dyed beach waves, were dominant.
- Shorter hairstyles, such as the pixie cut and bob cut, became fashionable for women in 2013.
- African-American and black men favored natural, Afro-textured hair and dreadlocks from 2012 to 2018.
- Mohawk variants of the Afro, The 360 Waves, and The Taper were popular among African-American and black men in the early to mid 2010s.
- The undercut hairstyle and buzzcut declined in popularity in the United States in 2017 due to their unintended popularity among supporters of the alt-right.
- Dutch braids, twin French braids, and side ponytails were popular styles for those with longer hair throughout the mid and late 2010s.
- Short mullet haircuts with buzzed sides and bleached blond streaks were popular among sporty male young people and urban youths of Iranian and Lebanese descent in the early 2010s.
- Long undercut or mohawk-like haircuts, in which only one side of the head is buzzed, became popular among ravers, hipster girls, and dubstep fans in the US in 2013.
Test your knowledge of fashion trends and styles during the 2010s with this quiz! From the emergence of hipster fashion to the rise of social media influencers, this quiz covers a range of fashion-related events and trends from the past decade. See how much you know about notable designers, popular global brands, and top models of the era. Challenge yourself to remember the most popular colors, footwear, and accessories of the decade, and discover some of the subcultures and beauty trends that emerged during
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students