What is contemporary dance?
What techniques are employed in contemporary dance?
Who is considered the first choreographer to develop an independent attitude towards modern dance?
What is the role of the choreographer in contemporary dance?
What are some contemporary dance techniques?
What non-dance related practices do contemporary dancers train using?
Who developed the Taylor technique?
What elements of non-western dance cultures are sometimes incorporated in contemporary dance?
What is contemporary dance increasingly incorporating?
Contemporary Dance: A Genre of Dance Performance
- Contemporary dance is a popular genre of dance throughout the world.
- It incorporates elements from many styles of dance, including classical, modern, and jazz.
- The technique of contemporary dance combines ballet's legwork with modern dance's emphasis on the torso.
- Contemporary dance also employs contract-release, floor work, fall and recovery, and improvisation.
- It sometimes incorporates elements of non-western dance cultures, such as African dance and Butoh.
- Merce Cunningham is considered the first choreographer to develop an independent attitude towards modern dance.
- Other pioneers of contemporary dance include Ruth St. Denis, Doris Humphrey, and Pina Bausch.
- The role of the choreographer in contemporary dance is to make creative decisions and decide whether the piece is abstract or narrative.
- Contemporary dance techniques include Graham technique, Horton technique, and Release technique.
- Contemporary dancers train using non-dance related practices such as Pilates and Yoga.
- Some well-known choreographers have developed their own dance techniques, such as Paul Taylor's Taylor technique.
- Contemporary dance is increasingly incorporating technological elements, such as robotics.
Do you know your Graham technique from your Horton technique? Test your knowledge of contemporary dance with our quiz! From its pioneers to its techniques and influences, this quiz covers all aspects of the popular dance genre. Whether you're a seasoned dancer or just a fan of the art form, this quiz will challenge and educate you on the world of contemporary dance. So, put on your dancing shoes and take the quiz now!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.