What was the most iconic women's hairstyle of the 1970s?
Which fashion trend introduced platform shoes, bright colors, glitter, and satin?
Which designer popularized the jersey 'wrap dress', which was credited as a symbol of women's liberation?
What were some of the common items in 1970s fashion?
What did men's fashion in the 1970s include?
What did youth fashion in the 1970s include?
What were some of the men's hairstyles in the 1970s?
What were some of the women's hairstyles in the 1970s?
What did cosmetics in the 1970s reflect?
Fashion and Beauty Trends of the 1970s
- Fashion in the 1970s was about individuality, due to overproduction flooding the market with cheap synthetic clothing.
- Common items included mini skirts, bell-bottoms, vintage clothing, and the androgynous glam rock and disco styles that introduced platform shoes, bright colors, glitter, and satin.
- New technologies brought advances in production through mass production, higher efficiency, generating higher standards and uniformity.
- Diane von Fürstenberg popularized the jersey "wrap dress," which was credited as a symbol of women's liberation.
- Top fashion models in the 1970s were Lauren Hutton, Margaux Hemingway, Beverly Johnson, Gia Carangi, Janice Dickinson, Patti Hansen, Cheryl Tiegs, Jerry Hall, and Iman.
- Men's fashion included bright colors, Eastern fashion, glam rock, informal attire, and sportswear.
- Youth fashion included mods, teddy boys, hippies, heavy metal, black power, cholos, and punks.
- Women's hairstyles included long hair with a center or side parting, the wavy "gypsy" cut, the layered shag, and the "flicked" style, popularly referred to as "wings."
- The most iconic women's hairstyle of the 1970s is the Farrah Fawcett hairstyle.
- Men's hairstyles included the ducktail, Pompadour, and sideburns.
- Cosmetics in the 1970s reflected the contradictory roles ascribed for the modern woman, with the daytime "natural look" and the evening aesthetic of sexualized glamour.
- The struggling cosmetics industry attempted to make a comeback, using new marketing and manufacturing practices.
Test your knowledge of the fashion and beauty trends of the 1970s with this quiz! From bell-bottoms to platform shoes, and the iconic Farrah Fawcett hairstyle, this decade was all about individuality and self-expression. Explore the diverse styles of the 70s, including glam rock, disco, and punk, and learn about the top fashion models of the era. Discover the contradictory roles of women in cosmetics, from the natural daytime look to the evening glamour aesthetic. Take
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students