What is the current meaning of the term 'hominid'?
Which country was the first to ban great ape experimentation?
What is the estimated weight range of the smallest living great ape species?
Which of the following is not an extinct member of the Hominidae family?
What is the estimated weight range of the largest living great ape species?
What is the estimated time period of the most recent common ancestor of all Hominidae?
What is the primary diet of chimpanzees and orangutans?
What is the average size of family groups for gorillas and chimpanzees?
What did the Spanish parliament support in 2008 regarding great apes?
Family of Primates:
- Hominidae is a taxonomic family of primates that includes eight extant species in four genera.
- The current meaning of "hominid" includes all the great apes including humans.
- The most recent common ancestor of all Hominidae lived roughly 14 million years ago.
- Due to the close genetic relationship between humans and the other great apes, certain animal rights organizations argue that nonhuman great apes are persons and should be given basic human rights.
- In 1999, New Zealand was the first country to ban any great ape experimentation, and now 29 countries have currently instituted a research ban to protect great apes from any kind of scientific testing.
- The earliest fossils argued to belong to the human lineage are Sahelanthropus tchadensis (7 Ma) and Orrorin tugenensis (6 Ma), followed by Ardipithecus (5.5–4.4 Ma).
- Gigantopithecus, Orrorin, Ardipithecus, Kenyanthropus, and the australopithecines Australopithecus and Paranthropus are some of the extinct members of this family.
- The great apes are tailless primates, with the smallest living species being the bonobo at 30–40 kilograms in weight, and the largest being the eastern gorillas, with males weighing 140–180 kilograms.
- All species are omnivorous, but chimpanzees and orangutans primarily eat fruit.
- Gorillas and chimpanzees live in family groups of around five to ten individuals, although much larger groups are sometimes noted.
- On 25 June 2008, the Spanish parliament supported a new law that would make "keeping apes for circuses, television commercials or filming" illegal.
- The following table lists the estimated number of great ape individuals living outside zoos.
Test your knowledge on the fascinating family of primates with our quiz! Discover interesting facts about the Hominidae family, which includes humans and great apes such as gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. From their evolutionary history to their current conservation status, this quiz covers it all. Find out how much you really know about these intelligent creatures and their place in the animal kingdom.
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.