What are magnet schools?
Who can attend magnet schools?
At what levels are magnet schools established?
Who establishes magnet schools?
When did the Magnet Schools Assistance Program develop?
What was the main purpose of the Magnet Schools Assistance Program?
What is a key component in facilitating racial diversity in magnet schools?
What do most magnet schools concentrate on?
What assumption do magnet school application forms make about its readers?
Overview of Magnet Schools
- Magnet schools are public schools with specialized courses or curricula in the U.S. education system.
- They accept students from multiple different schools in the area, pulling students out of the normal progression of schools, and attending them is voluntary.
- There are magnet schools at the elementary, middle, and high school levels.
- They are established by school districts and draw only from the district, while others are set up by state governments and may draw from multiple districts.
- Another type of "magnet school" emerged in the United States in the 1970s as one means of remedying racial segregation in public schools.
- Magnet schools have been the most successful of the ideas that originated from the Open Schools movement.
- The Magnet Schools Assistance Program was developed in the early 1980s as a way to encourage schools to address de facto racial segregation.
- Some 21st-century magnet schools have de-emphasized the racial integration aspects.
- Since coming into fruition, the number of magnet schools has risen dramatically.
- Most magnet schools concentrate on a particular discipline or area of study.
- Access to free transportation is a key component in facilitating racial diversity in magnet schools.
- Across the country, magnet school application forms assume that its readers are proficient in reading and writing in English.
Test your knowledge of magnet schools with our quiz! From their origins to their current role in the U.S. education system, this quiz will challenge your understanding of these unique public schools. Learn about their specialized curricula, voluntary attendance, and role in promoting diversity. See if you can answer questions about the Magnet Schools Assistance Program and the different types of magnet schools. If you're interested in education policy or simply want to learn more about this important topic, take our magnet schools quiz today!
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students