How Much Do You Know About Internet Service Providers (ISPs)?
What is an ISP?
What are the various forms in which ISPs can be organized?
What are the services offered by ISPs?
What is the role of ISPs in providing access to the internet?
When were the first ISPs established?
What is the cost of internet service for low-income families offered by ISPs?
What are the technologies used by access provider ISPs to provide internet access?
What services do mailbox provider ISPs offer?
What is a WISP?
Internet Service Providers: a summary
- An Internet service provider (ISP) is an organization that provides services for accessing, using, managing, or participating in the Internet.
- ISPs can be organized in various forms, such as commercial, community-owned, non-profit, or otherwise privately owned.
- ISPs offer Internet access, Internet transit, domain name registration, web hosting, Usenet service, and colocation.
- ISPs serve as the access point or the gateway that provides a user access to everything available on the Internet.
- In 1989, the first Internet service providers, companies offering the public direct access to the Internet for a monthly fee, were established in Australia and the United States.
- ISPs offer discounts to low-income families, with internet service available for as little as $10 a month.
- Access provider ISPs provide Internet access using various technologies such as computer modems, Wi-Fi, and fiber optics.
- Mailbox provider ISPs provide services for hosting electronic mail domains with access to storage for mailboxes.
- Internet hosting services provide email, web-hosting, or online storage services.
- Free ISPs provide service free of charge and are usually run on a nonprofit basis, usually with volunteer staff.
- A wireless Internet service provider (WISP) is an Internet service provider with a network based on wireless networking.
- ISPs in rural regions have limited competition, causing subscription rates to rise disproportionately with the quality of service in rural areas.
Test your knowledge on Internet Service Providers (ISPs) with this informative quiz! Learn about the various types of ISPs, the services they offer, and their impact on internet accessibility and pricing. From access provider ISPs to wireless internet service providers (WISPs), this quiz covers it all. Take the quiz to see how much you know about ISPs!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.