What is the approximate age of the earliest direct evidence of cheese-making?
What is the likely reason for hard salted cheese being the only form of cheese that could be kept in a hot climate?
Where is the origin of cheese-making uncertain?
What is the earliest written evidence of cheese?
Where does the earliest evidence of cheese-making in Egypt date back to?
When did cheese-making become a common practice and food group in Roman times?
When did the first factory for the industrial production of cheese open?
When did factory-made cheese overtake traditional cheese-making?
What happened to cheese-making in Europe?
The History of Cheese
- Cheese production began over 7,000 years ago.
- Cheese-making may have begun by storing and transporting milk in bladders made of ruminants' stomachs.
- The origin of cheese-making is uncertain, with evidence pointing to Europe, Central Asia, the Middle East, or the Sahara.
- The earliest direct evidence of cheese-making is found in excavated clay sieves over seven thousand years old.
- Hard salted cheese is likely to have accompanied dairying from the outset, and it is the only form in which milk can be kept in a hot climate.
- The earliest written evidence of cheese is found in Sumerian cuneiform texts dated at the early second millennium BC.
- Cheese-making was known in Europe at the earliest level of Hellenic myth.
- Archaeological evidence for making cheese in Egypt goes back about 5,000 years.
- Cheese-making was a common practice and food group in Roman times.
- Cheese-making diversified in Europe, with locales developing their own traditions and products.
- The first factory for the industrial production of cheese opened in Switzerland in 1815.
- Factory-made cheese overtook traditional cheese-making during the World War II era.
Think you're a cheese connoisseur? Test your knowledge with our quiz on the history of cheese! From the origins of cheese-making to the industrial production of cheese, this quiz will take you on a journey through time. See if you can answer questions on the earliest evidence of cheese-making, the diversity of European cheese traditions, and the impact of World War II on cheese production. Don't be afraid to get cheesy!
Ready to take the quiz?Start Quiz
Upgrade to continue
Save an additional 20% with coupon: SAVE20
To do that, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.