What is social-emotional learning (SEL)?
When did SEL begin?
What is CASEL?
What are the five main components of SEL?
What is the statistical association between SEL and improving the social dynamics of schools?
What is the statistical association between SEL and academic performance?
How many states have SEL standards for their K–12 curriculum?
What is the SELF Act?
What is the Florida Department of Education's BEST standards?
Social-Emotional Learning in Education
- Social-emotional learning (SEL) is an educational method that aims to foster social and emotional skills within school curricula.
- SEL emphasizes social and emotional skills to the same degree as other subjects, such as math, science, and reading.
- SEL began in the 1960s at the Yale School of Medicine in its Child Study Center.
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) was founded in 1994.
- The five main components of SEL are self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
- SEL is shown to be statistically associated with improving the social dynamics of schools by decreasing physical aggression and reducing bullying of students with disabilities.
- SEL is statistically linked with improving academic performance by 11 percentiles.
- Only three states (Illinois, Kansas, and Pennsylvania) have SEL standards for their K–12 curriculum.
- Conservative publications and groups have criticized social-emotional learning as a "Trojan horse" used to bring in ideas such as critical race theory, sexual orientation and gender identity, and other left-wing politics to the classroom.
- In some school districts, students are asked to enter their current mood or feelings into an app every day, as part of the social-emotional learning curriculum.
- U.S. congressman Tim Ryan introduced H.R.4626 - Social Emotional Learning for Families Act of 2019 (SELF Act) to create a grant program that supports the creation and implementation of a program in schools that helps to develop social and emotional habits.
- In April 2022, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) published a list of mathematics instructional materials that aligned with the state's Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking (BEST) standards. Among the submitted textbooks for FDOE review, 41% were rejected for a variety of reasons including the "unsolicited addition" of SEL in mathematics.
Test your knowledge on the growing trend of social-emotional learning in education with this quiz. Learn about the history, components, and benefits of SEL, as well as current debates and legislation surrounding its implementation. Keywords: social-emotional learning, education, curriculum, SEL standards, benefits, legislation, controversies.
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students