What is agronomy?
Which of the following fields is NOT encompassed by agronomy?
What is plant breeding?
What is biotechnology used for in agronomy?
What is soil science?
What is contour plowing?
What is agroecology?
What is theoretical production ecology?
What do agronomists do?
Agronomy: The Science of Producing and Using Plants
- Agronomy is the science and technology of producing and using plants for various purposes, including food, fuel, fiber, chemicals, recreation, or land conservation.
- The field of agronomy encompasses research in plant genetics, plant physiology, meteorology, soil science, biology, chemistry, economics, ecology, earth science, and genetics.
- Agronomists are professionals who apply a combination of sciences to the study of plants and their use.
- Plant breeding is a topic of agronomy that involves selective breeding of plants to produce the best crops for various conditions. It has led to increased crop yields, improved nutritional value, and the development of new types of plants.
- Biotechnology is used by agronomists to extend and expedite the development of desired characteristics in plants. It is also being applied increasingly for novel uses other than food, such as producing fatty acids for detergents, substitute fuels, and petrochemicals.
- Soil science is another area of agronomy that focuses on making soils more productive and profitable. Agronomists classify and analyze soils to determine whether they contain nutrients vital for plant growth, interpret laboratory reports, and make recommendations to modify soil nutrients for optimal plant growth.
- Agronomists also develop methods to preserve soil and decrease the effects of erosion by wind and water, such as contour plowing and planting of soil-binding grasses along contours on steep slopes.
- Agroecology is the management of agricultural systems with an emphasis on ecological and environmental applications. It is associated closely with work for sustainable agriculture, organic farming, and alternative food systems.
- Theoretical production ecology is the quantitative study of the growth of crops and the main parameters considered are temperature, sunlight, standing crop biomass, plant production distribution, and nutrient and water supply.
Test your knowledge of the science behind producing and using plants with our Agronomy quiz! From plant breeding to soil science, this quiz will challenge your understanding of the various topics related to agronomy. Whether you're an aspiring agronomist or simply interested in learning more about this fascinating field, this quiz is perfect for you. So, put your thinking cap on and see how much you know about the science of producing and using plants!
Ready to take the quiz?Play Quiz
Choose a plan
Flexible business plans for everyone. Perfect for corporate training, employee engagement and marketing campaigns.
- Available to everyone
- All features
- API Access
Learn smarter with our education plans. Designed just for students and teachers.
- Just for students and teachers
- Generate study materials
- Share quizzes with students